This hearty Cheese Vegetable Packed courgette Pasta Recipe doesn’t just have a rich tomato sauce, it’s layered with mozzarella, cheddar and Italian hard cheese for a tasty and wholesome midweek bake.
Cheese Vegetable Packed Pasta
This hearty courgette pasta doesn't just have a rich tomato sauce, it's layered with mozzarella, cheddar and Italian hard cheese for a tasty and wholesome midweek bake.
- 40g cheddar cheese †
- 2 garlic cloves125g cherry tomatoes
- 15ml balsamic vinegar †
- 150g tortiglioni †
- 125g mozzarella †
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 11g vegetable stock mix
- 20g Italian hard cheese †
- 16g tomato paste
- 210g canned finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 courgette
- 10g basil
- Preheat the oven to 240ºC/ 220ºC (fan)/ gas 9Boil a kettlePeel and finely chop (or grate) the garlic
- Add the tortiglioni to a pot of boiled water with a pinch of salt, bring to the boil over a high heat and cook for 8-12 min or until cooked with a slight biteOnce cooked, drain the tortiglioniReboil half a kettle.
- While the pasta is cooking, top, tail and chop the courgette[s] into quarters lengthways, then slice finelyHeat a large, wide-based pan (preferably non-stick) with a drizzle of olive oil over a medium-high heatOnce hot, add the sliced courgette with a pinch of salt and cook for 4 min or until beginning to soften
- Meanwhile, dissolve the vegetable stock mix, dried basil, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste and 1 tsp [2 tsp] sugar in 100ml [150ml] boiled water – this is your stockCut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Once the courgette is beginning to soften, add the chopped garlic to the pan and cook for 30 secsAdd the stock with the halved cherry tomatoes and chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil over a high heatSeason with a generous grind of black pepper and cook for 3-4 min further
- Grate the cheddar cheeseDrain the mozzarella, then pat and squeeze as much liquid out as you can with kitchen paperTear the drained mozzarella into rough, bite-sized piecesChop the basil finely, including the stalksGrate the Italian hard cheese.
- Add the drained tortiglioni to the sauce with the chopped basil (save some for garnish!) and mix it upAdd half the pasta to an oven-proof dish, then top with the grated cheddarTop with the remaining pasta, torn mozzarella and grated Italian hard cheese and put the dish in the oven for 5-10 min or until all the cheese has melted – this is your 3 cheese veg-packed pasta bakeServe the 3 cheese veg-packed pasta bake topped with the reserved chopped basil and a grind of black pepper and enjoy!