Chicken casserole Recipe (Recipes) is a versatile and satisfying dish that is loved by people of all ages. Whether you are in the mood for a hearty and comforting meal, or you are simply looking for an easy dinner recipe that can feed the whole family, this dish is a great option. It is perfect for busy weeknights, special occasions, and even for meal prepping. This classic dish is made with a few simple ingredients, is easy to prepare, and is packed full of flavor . In this article, we will take a closer look at what makes chicken casserole such a great dish, and we will provide you with a step-by-step recipe for making it yourself at home.
What is Chicken Casserole?
Chicken casserole is a one-pot dish that is made with cooked chicken, a variety of vegetables, and a starchy base, typically rice or pasta. The ingredients (chicken casserole Recipes) are combined in a baking dish, topped with cheese, and baked until hot and bubbly. Casseroles have been popular for centuries and are often considered comfort food. They are a great option for those who are looking for a meal that is easy to prepare, can be made ahead of time, and can feed a crowd. Chicken casserole is one of the most popular casseroles around and is loved by people of all ages.
There are many benefits to making chicken casserole, both for you and for your family. Here are just a few of the many benefits of this delicious dish:
- Easy to Prepare:It is one of the easiest dishes to prepare. Simply brown the chicken, cook the vegetables, combine the ingredients in a baking dish, and bake. There’s no need to spend hours in the kitchen, and there’s no need to worry about anything burning or sticking to the pan.
- Can be Made Ahead of Time: This Meal can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to bake. This makes it a great option for busy weeknights or special occasions. Simply take the casserole out of the refrigerator and pop it in the oven.
- Feeds a Crowd: It is also a great option for feeding a crowd. It’s easy to double or triple the recipe, and it’s a great way to make sure that everyone is fed and satisfied.
- Budget-Friendly: It Surely is a budget-friendly dish that is made with simple ingredients that are easy to find and inexpensive. This makes it a great option for those who are looking to feed their families without breaking the bank.
- Nutritious: It is a nutritious dish that is packed full of protein, fiber, and vitamins. It’s a great way to make sure that you and your family are getting all of the nutrients that you need to stay healthy and strong.
The Recipe for Chicken Casserole
Now that we’ve taken a closer look at what makes This meal such a great dish, let’s take a look at the recipe for making it yourself. You can try it with Rice and call it chicken and rice casserole
Chicken casserole recipe
- 1 large 2kg (4½ lb) chicken, jointed into 8 pieces
- 100g (4oz) streaky bacon, chopped
- 25g (1oz) soft butter, plus extra for the sauce
- 200g (8oz) small onions or shallots, whole and peeled
- 150g (5oz) button mushrooms
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 stick celery, cut into chunks
- Bouquet garnish (bay leaf, thyme, parsley stalks, black peppercorns)
- 500ml (18fl oz) chicken stock
- 300ml (½ pt) white wine
- 25g (1oz) plain flour
- 2tbsp double cream
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In a large cast-iron casserole or frying pan, heat a little oil and brown the chicken pieces all over, then transfer to a plate (you may need to do this in batches). Brown the bacon and put it on the plate with the chicken. Add a knob of butter to the oil in the casserole and gently brown the onions and mushrooms, before adding the chicken and bacon back into the casserole.
- Add the carrot, celery, bouquet garni, chicken stock, and wine to the chicken and season well. Cover and transfer to a preheated oven at 170ºC (325ºF, gas mark 3) for 30-40 mins.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken and vegetables to a large dish and keep warm. Mix the flour and butter together to form a paste (called a beurre manie).
- Bring the sauce in the casserole to the boil and add a small amount of the beurre manie to it, whisking continuously until dissolved. The mixture should begin to thicken. Add the rest of the beurre manie a little at a time until you have reached the desired thickness (you may not need all of it).
- Stir in the double cream, then pour over the chicken and sprinkle with some chopped parsley.
- Slow cooking method: If you're planning to make yours in a slow cooker, follow step 1 and then add the remaining ingredients apart from the cream to your slow cooker, give everything a good stir and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6 hours. stir in the cream before serving and sprinkle more parsley. If you’re using a slow cooker to cook your casserole you can use raw chicken but you need to cook it for about 4-6 hours. Make sure you check the chicken before removing it from the slow cooker. The meat needs to be white with no red meat.