Chicken Fricassee Recipe is a classic French dish that is both delicious and versatile. Among other Chicken Recipes, It is made by braising chicken in a white sauce, typically made with a base of butter, flour, and chicken broth and other improvised recipes.
The dish is often served with vegetables, such as mushrooms, carrots, and onions, and can be garnished with fresh herbs, such as thyme or parsley.
One of the great things about Chicken Fricassee is that it can be made with either bone-in or boneless chicken, and can be adjusted to suit a variety of dietary needs. For example, those following a gluten-free diet can use a gluten-free flour to make the white sauce, and those looking for a lighter option can use skinless chicken breasts. Please Kindly check our blogs for other Chicken Fricassee Recipes.
To make Chicken Fricassee, start by seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper and browning it in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Once the chicken is browned, remove it from the pan and set it aside. Next, add the vegetables to the pan and sauté them until they are softened. Then, add the butter and flour to the pan and stir to make a roux. Slowly pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly, to make the white sauce. Add the chicken back to the pan and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover the pan and let it braise for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
One of the best things about this dish is its versatility and adaptability to your personal taste preferences. You can also add other ingredients to the recipe such as diced bacon, smoked paprika, or red pepper flakes for a little extra flavor. Also, you can serve it over a bed of rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes, or even with a side of crusty bread to mop up the delicious sauce.
What is the Origin of Chicken Fricassee Recipes?
This chicken fricassee recipe is not the one that comes from Michelin star restaurants. This recipe is the heritage of country cooks aka home cooks like you and I. It is rustic and simple. This recipe doesn’t require precise measurements but instead relies on quality ingredients and a slow braising technique for its savory and rich taste.
Overall, Chicken Fricassee is a comforting and satisfying dish that is perfect for a cozy night in or a special occasion. With its rich flavor and tender chicken, it’s sure to become a favorite in your recipe rotation.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs and leg combined salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 carrots, cut in large pieces3-4 sprigs thyme, (leaves only)
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine , such as Sauvignon Blance 1
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Pat dry chicken with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Place a large deep pan over medium/high heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Brown chicken approximately 4 minutes per side until golden on each side but not cooked through. Remove to a plate and set aside until needed. Discard excess fat leaving 1 Tbsp in the pan.
- Add 1 Tbsp butter to the pan and saute chopped onions and carrots over low heat for 7-10 minutes. Add minced garlic and fresh thyme leaves and cook briefly for 30 seconds. Add 2 Tbsp flour and cook while stirring until flour is completely absorbed by the fat and mixture smells nutty. Add 1/2 cup white wine and simmer until slightly reduced. Pour in 1 1/2 cups chicken stock.
- Return chicken to the pan together with the juices and bake uncovered at 350˚F for 45 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and add 1/2 cup heavy cream, stir until combined. Taste and season with salt if needed.